Pattonville Points of Pride
The Pattonville School District is fully accredited by the state of Missouri and is recognized both nationally and in Missouri. Here’s a look at our accomplishments. Find out more about Pattonville by downloading our brochure.
- Best Public School Districts in Nation – Pattonville is ranked among the best districts nationally, in Missouri and in St. Louis by Niche, an online service that ranks 100,000 private and public schools and districts based on dozens of statistics and opinions from students and parents. The Pattonville School District ranks in the Top 3 percent nationally and is listed as the 6th best school district in Missouri. Pattonville also ranked in the Top 4 percent or higher in the U.S. in the following categories: best teachers, safest school districts, most diverse, best places to teach and best school districts for athletes. Find out more at k12.Niche.com.
- U.S. News and World Report's Best High Schools List – Pattonville High School was named among the top high schools in Missouri and the nation on U.S. News and World Report's 2016 Best High Schools ranking. Pattonville earned a bronze medal in this year's rankings. Based on U.S News' methodology, Pattonville's results placed it at No. 26 out of 528 high schools in Missouri (the Top 5 percent in the state). This is the third time Pattonville earned a spot on U.S. News' Top High Schools list in the last four years.
- Distinction in Performance – Pattonville met the criteria for Missouri’s Distinction in Performance Award for academic performance 13 consecutive years; Pattonville is the most diverse district in Missouri to achieve Distinction in Performance every year it has been bestowed, an honor shared by only 5 percent of districts in Missouri.
- Top Performing in St. Louis area – With a score of 96.8 percent for the second year in a row in 2015, Pattonville is among the highest scoring school districts in the St. Louis metropolitan area on its Missouri annual performance report (APR). The report measures school districts in five areas related to academic achievement, college and career readiness and attendance.
- Missouri Outstanding Board of Education Award – The Pattonville Board of Education was named a 2016 Outstanding Board of Education for Teaching, Learning and Assessment by the Missouri School Boards' Association (MSBA). The board previously won MSBA's Outstanding Board of Education Award for Governance, Leadership and Accountability in 2013 and the MSBA Outstanding Board of Education Award in 2002. The board was also a finalist for Outstanding Board of Education in 2008 and 2011.
- Best early childhood program in Missouri – Pattonville’s early childhood education program was selected as the Missouri School Boards Association (MSBA) FutureBuilders Early Childhood Education Program of the Year in 2012. The award recognizes innovative and original early childhood education programs within Missouri. Award recipients are selected based on their innovative approaches and outstanding ability to engage and support the development of the children in their care as well as their overall commitment to the early childhood education profession.
- National Pinnacle Award – Pattonville earned a 2013 Pinnacle Award from the Association of School Business Officials International, which recognizes outstanding and creative practices that improve the efficiency of schools and make a difference in the education of the nation’s students. Pattonville was recognized for its iLearn program, a digital learning initiative in which Pattonville High School students access learning resources on course Moodles (an online learning management tool) anywhere, anytime via school-provided laptops. In its first year (2012-2013), staff launched 21,000 modules on their Moodles, which were accessed by
1,800 students 1.7 million times.
- Missouri Teachers of the Year – Two Pattonville teachers have been named Missouri Teacher of the Year and six others have been named state finalists since 1986, including Willow Brook Elementary School English Language Learner Teacher Yulia Kotets in 2015. In 2016, Missouri began honoring Regional Teachers of the Year as a precursor to selecting the state honoree. Pattonville teacher Allison Stout was named a 2016 St. Louis Region 8 Teacher of the Year and is now eligible for the state honor. There have only been 42 Missouri Teachers of the Year since the state began the program in 1974.
- Missouri Superintendent of the Year - Dr. Mike Fulton, Pattonville superintendent, was named Missouri Superintendent of the Year by the Missouri Association of School Administrators in 2015. He is the second Pattonville superintendent in a row (spanning 20 years) to earn this recognition.
- Highest Performing Schools – Remington Traditional School named to state’s Top 10 lists for highest performing schools 11 years in a row; also on the highest performing Top 10 lists in the state: Rose Acres Elementary (2006 and 2008) and Parkwood Elementary (2007); note: the state no longer compiles this list.
- Top Workplaces Award in St. Louis – The Pattonville School District earned a Top Workplaces Award from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch in 2015 and 2016. The district was ranked No. 8 among the Top 20 large companies in the St. Louis area with 500 or more employees. No other school district was ranked higher on the 2016 Top Workplaces list, which recognizes the Top 100 large, mid-size and small companies in the St. Louis region. Honorees are chosen based solely on feedback provided by employees via surveys from administered by WorkplaceDynamics, an independent national research firm that specializes in organizational health and employee engagement. Employers scoring high enough based on national benchmarks developed by WorkplaceDynamics
since 2006 were named to the newspaper's Top Workplaces list.
- “What Parents Want” Award - Earned 10 times from SchoolMatch, a nationally recognized relocation firm.
- Leaders in technology – One of 14 school districts nationwide to receive the President’s Technology Award from the American Association of School Administrators (AASA), which recognizes vision and leadership in technology to advance teaching, learning and achievement. In 2012, every student at Pattonville High School will receive a MacBook Air laptop to provide them access to learning resources 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Teachers spent the 2011-2012 school year developing Moodles (an online learning management tool/website) to support the new learning environment. The Moodles contain course-specific information online - items such as course syllabus, weekly activities, assignments and resources. The tool can also be used to host
discussions, share podcasts or videos and interact on course activities.
- Excellence in budget preparation – Pattonville is among 100 districts nationwide honored with the Meritorious Budget Award from the Association of School Business Officials International, which recognizes districts for achieving excellence in their annual budget preparation and presentation.
- Nationally certified teachers – Twenty-one Pattonville teachers have earned national board certification, the highest credential awarded to a teacher.
- High quality staff training – Pattonville earned the Missouri Commissioner of Education's Professional Development Excellence Award in 2004 for staff training programs that enhance teaching and learning.
- Leader in Character Education and Positive Behavior – Pattonville High School was named a national School of Character by the Character Education Partnership and Business Week magazine because character traits such as respect and service are embedded in the curriculum. The high school requires 50 hours of community service for graduation. The school was also named a National School of Service Learning. Holman Middle School, Parkwood Elementary, Remington Traditional School, Willow Brook Elementary and Pattonville’s early childhood program have all been honored with state-level recognition for their Positive Behavior Supports
programs as well. In 2013, Willow Brook was honored with a State School of Character Award for its character education program.
- Gold Star Schools – Earned Gold Star Awards from Missouri - Pattonville High School (twice), Holman Middle School and Pattonville Heights Middle School.
- Blue Ribbon Schools – Earned federal Blue Ribbon Award – Pattonville High School, Holman Middle School and Pattonville Heights Middle School.
A model for others
During Pattonville’s last full-scale reaccreditation review, the state identified several strengths in Pattonville. They are:
- Pattonville’s school improvement plan drives all phases of the district planning process and is focused on student achievement. It is an example of comprehensive planning and could serve as a model for other districts.
- The district provides services for gifted students that exceed the requirements of the state’s standard.
- Questionnaire responses from faculty and staff indicate that the district provides numerous professional development opportunities that have a direct relationship to improving student achievement.
- The Pattonville Board of Education provides numerous opportunities for patrons, parents, students and staff to have input into the programs and policies of the district. The level of participation of district patrons could serve as a model for other districts.
- The Pattonville High School library is open until 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday, providing extended access to the library media center resources for students and community members.
- The district has a desirable student to staff ratio in all areas.
- Pattonville was also cited for academic performance on the MAP, attendance rate, dropout ratio, advanced course work and students’ scores on the ACT.